Thursday, January 19, 2006

D & D

I am about to embark on a new journey, into the realm of the imagination. Where dwarves are given mysterious powers to twart evil. Missions are planned by the all-knowing Dungeon Master. An assembly of unlikely heroes take on complex challenges. The list goes on and on.

Welcome to Dungeons & Dragons.

Now I know that this game has been around for a looonng time. I have never really been exposed to it, though I know there are legions of fans everywhere.

Enter Pizza Boy.

This is my neighbor across the hallway (or as I sometimes like to say, "across the street"). He is an avid player. He owns a massive collection of books about D & D. Standing atop his televison set are D & D like figurines. He owns the Clue version of D & D.

Pizza Boy has tried to explain D & D to me, going into great detail about the Ogs & their missions & the different worlds & endless possibilities available. (I'm not sure if there are really Ogs, but I can't remember all the names of the characters there are to choose them. I'm pretty sure if there is such a thing as an og, it would reside in the realm of D & D).

Anyway, tomorrow (or today depending on your time zone), I am entering a new world. I will be attending a game of D&D, compliments of Pizza Boy.

I have explained to Pizza Boy that D & D is not really my thing. Perhaps he cannot see the glazed look in my eye as he goes on and on and on about this gnome or that weapon or this mission or that world. Don't get me wrong, when it comes to D & D, Pizza Boy knows his stuff. However, I can't quite get into it. I'm not really sure I want to get in to it. But I am going to see what all the fuss is about, and maybe even to be social.

Keep your fuzzy Neptune ears open for revealing essays to follow...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home